This is another original recipe that I developed this past year. I went into a gourmet food and wine shop for an anniversary gift for friends of ours and saw some small bottles of Truffle Oil. I remembered having truffle fries one night when Bill and I went out for “small plates” at a new restaurant and they were very good. Also, every Christmas Day our son-in-law Corey makes three different pasta sauces to serve for dinner and one of them is a truffle cream sauce which is wonderful. It’s so good we look forward to it every year! So, I decided to add a bottle to my order and spent some time thinking about how I wanted to use it.
I love the creamy texture of baked potatoes, no matter if they are Idahoes, Yukon Golds or large Reds, but in the summer heat I prefer not to use the oven. So, I used large Reds and did a “precook” in the microwave, smashed them and then finished cooking them on the grill. They came out creamy in the center, had crispy outer areas and were just perfect with a drizzle of truffle oil, kosher salt and rosemary as a finishing touch. Before cooking I oiled the outer skin but used olive oil for that and saved the truffle oil for the drizzle. I hope you enjoy these and I look forward to your comments. As you read this post today, I am traveling home from Arizona and my first blogging conference so I am looking forward to hopfully sharing a better blog with all of you in the future…
- Large Red Potatoes
- Olive Oil
- Truffle Oil
- Kosher salt
- Fresh Rosemary, chopped
- Scrub potatoes and pierce about 6 times with a fork
- Rub skins with olive oil and salt
- Place on a microwave safe plate
- Microwave until almost done based on recommended time and setting for your appliance
- When done, cut an X about ½ inch deep on the top of each potato
- Smash the potato with a flat metal spatula
- Drizzle a bit (about ½ teaspoon) of Truffle Oil over the top of each and place on the grill for about 5 minutes ( indirect so the oil doesn't flare up)
- Place on serving plate, drizzle with a teaspoon more of truffle oil on each plus kosher salt.
- Garrnish with fresh chopped Rosemary