For years I made a “6 can chicken taco soup” that used canned chicken and only took the time to open the cans, stir and heat. I always had those 6 cans on hand so if I needed something fast or had unexpected guests for lunch it worked well. Sometimes I used leftover chicken or corn in that recipe. Last year I came across this recipe which is similar but uses fresh chicken breasts and a slow cooker. It also has a can or bottle of beer in its ingredients which gives it a subtle unique taste. The beer can be substituted with chicken broth which is good too. Also, the heat of this soup can be adjusted to your taste by using hot, medium or mild chili beans and tomatoes with chilies. So now this recipe has become the one I usually keep the ingredients on hand for. This is also a good recipe to serve for the Super Bowl since it’s done ahead of time and each person can top it with what they like.
Next week I will be sharing the recipe for Hummingbird Cake which is popular in the South. It is a three layer cake and is sooooo good. Everytime I have served it to friends and family who have never tried it or even heard of it I have had rave reviews so I look forward to sharing it with you.
As the New Year is upon us this week, I have been looking back over the past year as well as thinking about the new one. This blog has just completed its third month and I have had an enjoyable time writing, cooking, baking and sharing this time with you. I would love to hear your comments about the blog and/or the recipes so I can improve on this adventure and make it better. I would also appreciate you sharing this blog with your friends and family members who would enjoy reading it so they might sign up to receive it too.
I hope good health, happiness and strength through the hard times for each of you in the new year. Thanks for being here!
- 1 Medium onion, diced
- 1 16 oz can chili beans, not drained
- 1 15 oz. can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 15 oz can corn, drained (or 1 cup frozen corn)
- 1 8 oz can tomato sauce
- 1 12 oz can or bottle of beer
- 2 10oz cans diced tomatoes with green chilies
- 1 (1.25 oz) package taco seasoning
- 3 whole boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- sour cream
- tortilla chips, broken up
- shredded cheese
- diced raw onion
- Place the first seven items in a crock pot or slow cooker
- Stir in the taco seasoning
- Lay chicken breasts on top and push down a bit into the soup
- Cover and cook on Low at least 6 hours or on High for 4 hours
- Remove the chicken breasts and shred them
- Stir the shredded chicken back into the soup and cook another hour
- Serve with bowls of toppings