We will have an abundance of zucchini soon from local gardens so this shrimp with zoodles dish is perfect and delicious for using that zucchini. Using zoodles instead of pasta is not just healthier it is also lighter to eat during the hot summer. I purchased a spiralizer last year and just love it. It not only cuts sweet potatoes and zucchini into spiral noodles, it cuts apples and pears into paper thin slices too. There are 3 varieties of spiralizers that I am aware of. The one I use sits on a counter or table and is secured by suction cups. Sur la Table carries a handheld version as well as one that attaches to a Kitchen Aid mixer. If you are not near any of their stores you can find spiralizers on their website.
I’m thinking come Fall, sweet potatoes and an apple thinly sliced and cooked with pork chops…hmm a new post idea!
I worked on developing this recipe using fresh herbs starting with cilantro and adding fresh basil just before serving. As much as I like cilantro, I preferred the basil. Adding shredded Parmesan cheese after the dish is plated adds another texture and ties the garlic, basil and zucchini all together with the shrimp. My husband Bill and I almost ate the whole pan with only a small lunch sized bowl of leftovers. Bill suggested topping the zoodles with grilled shrimp next time and I agree with him. I think that adding grilled shrimp would even take this dish a notch up. It is very good this way but I am always asking for suggestions or ways to make something better. Usually two to three times a week I am working on a new recipe or a new combination. I’d love to hear your comments and suggestions on any of my posts too!
- 3 medium zucchini
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 pound shrimp, shelled and deveined
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro (optional)
- ½ cup basil, julienned
- Garlic salt
- Parmesan cheese, shredded
- Spiralize zucchini into "zoodles"
- Put zoodles into a bowl and toss with salt, set aside
- Heat oil in fry pan and add garlic and shrimp
- When shrimp is pink and opaque, take out of pan and set aside
- Saute zoodles in the hot fry pan for about 3-4 minutes
- Add the shrimp and fresh herbs
- Add garlic salt and pepper to taste
- Toss together and serve
- Top with shredded Parmesan cheese
Roll basil leaves and slice the roll into thin strips to julienne