This strawberry pie recipe came from an aunt of mine almost 50 years ago. As I was shopping this weekend I noticed the great prices on strawberries right now and thought of this pie and its wonderful flavor. I just had to share the recipe with you. It is easy to make and has such a delicious fresh taste. The pie shell is baked empty and the strawberry filling is made on the top of the stove. The filling is then poured over whole strawberries that are placed points up in the bottom of the cooled pie shell. Done. Easy and its pretty too.
Over the years I have made and baked so many different things. I love both cooking and baking and I’m not sure even now, which I like better. However, I do know that there are 3 things I am not consistently good at. One is making gravy, the second is, I do not have the patience for cut out cookies and third, I’d rather buy a frozen pie crust than make my own and I’m not sure if its the patience thing or if I just want to avoid the mess. So, when I make this or most any other pie, I use a frozen crust. Sometimes I think… someday I will practice and learn to make good, flaky pie crust. Then, I pull out a pie recipe I want to make and I say, ok, next time… and I go ahead and use a frozen one. If you enjoy making pie crust, make your favorite recipe for it, otherwise use a frozen one. Either way, I’m sure you and your family will love this recipe.
- 1 Baked Pie Shell (homemade or frozen)
- 2 Cups Whole fresh Strawberries (try to choose similar size for these)
- 2 Cups Strawberries, cut up and crushed
- 1 Cup Sugar
- 2 Tablespoons Cornstarch
- 1 pint Whipping Cream or Ice Cream for topping (optional)
- Bake a frozen pie shell per directions or make your favorite pie crust recipe and bake that
- Wash, dry, and cut the tops off of the whole strawberries placing them cut side down in the cooled baked pie shell
- Place the cut up strawberries in a saucepan and crush with a potato masher
- Add the sugar and cornstarch to the strawberries
- Cook until thickened on low to medium heat, stirring constantly for about 10 minutes to keep the strawberries from sticking
- Pour the cooked and thickened strawberries into the pie shell over the whole strawberries
- Refrigerate until serving
- Top each serving with sweetened whip cream or ice cream if desired