This Colorful Bean Salad is a great dish to bring or share at a picnic, a pot luck or when you need a salad or vegetable for dinner because this fills in for either. I remember this colorful bowl of beans from my childhood and when I decided to use the recipe as a post I thought I would update it a bit by using fresh green and yellow beans rather than canned. The green beans were no problem but after trying three different places for fresh yellow (wax) beans I decided to use the canned yellow beans. My last stop was at a farm stand and I asked if they had yellow beans and their answer was, “we used to grow them but sometimes the brown rust colored markings stopped people from buying them, so we grow the green beans but we no longer grow and sell the yellow beans”. So, I was going to just make the recipe in its original form using the three cans of beans. Then I decided to use the fresh green and the canned yellow to compare flavor. The original recipe using all canned beans is very good. Using fresh green beans that I steamed for just five minutes made it even better. So now as I visit farm stands I really am on a hunt for fresh yellow beans, “rusty” markings and all. I think that will truly make this recipe the best it can be. After making this with the fresh green beans I think when fresh is not available I will use frozen even though it takes an extra step, the extra flavor is worth it.
- 1 can Red Kidney Beans
- 1 can cut Green Beans (or 1 and ½ cups fresh or frozen, steamed to tender-crisp)
- 1 can cut Wax (Yellow) Beans (or 1 and ½ cup fresh steamed to tender-crisp)
- ½ large Sweet Onion
- 1 small or ½ large Green Pepper
- ½ cup Vinegar
- ½ cup Oil (olive, corn, canola)
- ½ cup Sugar
- Rinse and drain the kidney beans
- Rinse green and yellow beans if using canned, if using fresh or frozen cook by microwave or steam until just starting to get tender and still bright in color, put into bowl of iced water to stop cooking and to keep bright color.
- Chop or dice the onion and green pepper
- Place the vegetables in a large bowl
- Mix the dressing and toss with the vegetable
- Chill about 4 hours before serving for best flavor
However, if fresh green and yellow beans are available, the flavor difference is worth the extra steps if you have the time.