This easy chicken enchilada casserole is a hearty, cheesy comfort food. It freezes well so if you only need four to six servings, divide it into two pans, bake both and freeze one to use for another day. As I mentioned in last weeks’ post our family was able to be together for almost two weeks over the holidays. There were nineteen of us and we worked together creating meals each night. My daughters and I made this casserole for one of them. We doubled the recipe which gave us two 9×13 pans and served it with lettuce, tomato and sour cream with seasoned black beans and Spanish rice as the sides. This recipe begins by cooking chicken breasts in enchilada sauce. I did that on the stove top however it could be done all day in a crock pot. When they are cooked through, shred them and put the chicken back in the sauce. I have always baked this casserole uncovered for a baked cheese top. My oldest daughter Gina suggested keeping it covered with foil during the time in the oven so the cheese would be soft and melted rather than baked. I think that sounds good too, so when you make it, depending on your family’s preferences, either keep it uncovered or seal it with foil and bake it that way. I believe recipes are meant to be adapted to the tastes of those who are eating them. The cold lettuce, tomato and sour cream with the hot casserole add a nice touch. I hope you are staying warm during this cold winter season… if you are chilly, this is a great meal to warm you up!
- 3 boneless skinless chicken breasts (cut into a few pieces or butterfly to speed up cooking)
- 1 lg. (29 oz) can red enchilada sauce
- 10 corn tortillas (6 inch)
- 4 cups Mexican cheese blend, Montery Jack or Queso Fresco (shredded)
- Shredded lettuce
- Chopped tomato
- Sour Cream
- Place enchilada sauce in a large saucepan or dutch oven
- Simmer chicken breast pieces in the enchilada sauce until cooked through about 30 min.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- Take the chicken pieces out of the sauce and shred, placing the shredded chicken back in the sauce
- Lightly spray a 9x13 baking pan with cooking spray
- Lay 4 whole and 2 halves of the corn tortillas in the pan, covering the bottom
- Top with ½ of the chicken and sauce
- Top with 2 cups of cheese
- Repeat the layers of tortillas, chicken and sauce and cheese
- Bake for 30 minutes until heated through and cheese is baked.
- Cut into 12 servings and offer toppings on the side
If you wish to cook the breasts in the crock pot during the day, keep them whole and cook on low for 8 hours
Besides the toppings, Spanish rice and seasoned black beans make great sides.