As I mentioned in previous posts, all twelve of our grandchildren are visiting us at various times. The first group went home last week, so on the last night they were here we had a going away/birthday special dinner. Since a few days after leaving, two of our grandsons would be celebrating their birthdays, we had their choice of cakes for dessert. Collin, the soon to be sixteen year old asked for this Caramel and Heath Bar cake. Preston, the soon to be five year old wanted a chocolate and white cake with blue frosting. Starting with a white cake mix, after putting half of the batter for the first layer into an eight inch pan, I added about two rounded measuring tablespoons of cocoa into the balance of the batter and then poured it into the second eight inch pan. Adding a few drops of blue food coloring into white frosting gave us the blue frosting Preston requested.
Collin’s favorite cake is this Caramel and Heath Bar Cake so it was understandable that he asked for it. Over the years this cake has had many names. I’ve heard a variety of them as Better Than… cake. So I have just named it Caramel and Heath Bar cake. It is rich, moist and decadent and starts with a cake mix, either devils food, dark or just plain chocolate. Since it doesn’t matter, bake your favorite. After baking, using the handle of a wooden spoon poke holes all over the cake. Then pour a can of sweetened condensed milk into the holes followed by caramel topping. Cover the top of the cake with a container of cool whip and chopped Heath Bars. This is kept in the refrigerator until serving.
So our Arizona family is back in Arizona and this week our Atlanta family is here. This has been such a fun summer for us, I hope you have been enjoying yours too!
- 1 Chocolate Cake Mix
- 1 can Sweetened Condensed Milk
- 1 12 oz. container Caramel Ice Cream Topping
- 1 8 oz. container of Cool Whip, thawed
- 3 Heath Bars
- Make Chocolate cake mix as directed on the box
- When cool, make holes all over the cake with the handle of a wooden spoon
- Pour the can of condensed milk into the holes
- Pour the container of caramel topping into the holes
- Cover the top of the cake with the thawed Cool Whip
- Chop the Heath bars and sprinkle over the top of the cake